Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Letting Go

To forgive and forget easily is a virtue. It seems like it is such a hard thing to do at times, at least for me. It has gotten easier as I have gotten older and realized that a lot of my worrying and pining over things just isn't worth the energy. Somehow, my daughter has the lesson of letting go down pat, at the ripe old age of six. It does not seem to matter how mad you get at her, or what the situation is, she is able to simply and easily let it go. She is definitely upset in the moment that either you have scolded her or she gets mad at you, but after a discussion she is done. Done.

We had an incident tonight where she lied to me. We talked calmly about it, and she was literally wailing with sadness and disappointment in herself. I could feel her energy and her feelings, it was so intense. After she calmed down, she received her punishment of 75 burpees, and it was like a switch was turned. She started doing the burpees and was done with it. It was as if she just excepted what she did, what had happened, her role in it, the punishment, and moved on. And this is not the first time that she has handled a situation with such maturity. She still amazes me every time. An "ah-ha" moment.

And oh, how I envy her! Sometimes it seems that you urge yourself to let it go, but somehow you can still feel it. "It," this feeling, this thing is in your gut, your heart, and your mind. It lingers like a bad smell. You try to scrub it out, but that stubborn thing won't go no matter how hard you try to get rid of it. Yet here she is, no scrubbing, no pining, no urging. Just poof, and it is gone.

It just goes to show you how much you can learn from anyone, at any age, at any time. A continual journey of learning and experiences. Moments that your child is learning from you suddenly turn into a role reversal of lessons. The same time they are learning from you, boom, you are learning larger lessons from them,and I love it. I love that my kids can teach me thing or two about living life to the fullest and letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment