Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Son, The Grinch

I know that I am most definitely a bit biased, but I happen to think that my son is one of the sweetest people out there.  I am not just talking kids, I am talking people.

This guy is what some may call an old soul. From the beginning, he has always been the most pleasant child to be around. He is very calm and contemplative. Sometimes, in fact, it is hard to read whether he is in deep thought or something is troubling him. I am sure it could be both. Most other times though, he wears his heart on his sleeve. You know exactly how he is feeling, and most of the time he will tell you why.

I can recall many times when I was struggling with something in my life, and it was he that gave me wise words to live by. Here is an example. My mother has Alzheimer's Disease. My kids have known her in every stage so far. After a visit from my sister, where we had to do a lot of figuring out what to do next with our mom, I was very upset. I was tired and emotional, yet trying to be rational. We were driving in the car, I and my two children. I said to them, "You know, there may come a time, very soon in fact, that Grandma doesn't know who you are. Remember her brain is not working quite right any more." My son simply stopped what he was doing,  looked up and said, "I know, Mom, but we just have to enjoy each and every day that we have with her." That was it. His little head went right back down to what he was doing. And to think, I wasn't even sure they were listening. Even typing that sentiment brings me to tears. He was maybe seven at the time, yet he gets it. Always has.

When he was two, I was pregnant with his sister and feeling very sick. I was laying on the floor of his room, while he played. I thought that if I was in front of the door, in case I dozed off, I would feel him if he tried to climb over me. He simply started to bring me a large stuffed animal to use as a pillow and covered me with a blanket. These are some of the many instances where there was a situation that I was struggling with and he stayed calm and knew exactly what was needed. Wise words, a hug, a blanket, a laugh, whatever it is, he knows.

This kid is unbelievably kind. He is constantly wanting to hug you, snuggle with you, or make you laugh. He just wants some special time to simply be with you. I sometimes worry, though, that in a world so based on competition and getting ahead, that he will simply be left behind. He wants things fair for everyone. He is OK with letting someone else have the ball in a game because, "everyone should have a chance." I have rarely, if ever, seen him be judgmental of someone else, and certainly  he calls anyone else out on it if they are being so.


But I have started to come to terms with this, because he is who he is. I wouldn't want him any other way. My boy, with the heart of gold and like the Grinch, yes the Grinch, I believe his heart to be three times a normal heart's size.

No comments:

Post a Comment