Sunday, February 19, 2012

Take It Or Leave It

It is funny how quickly I can forget and then be reminded a very basic lesson:

Yes, what you put out there is inevitably what you get back. Just think about it. I will use a scenario with children as an example. You are feeling frustrated and tired and are kind of snapping at every one and about everything. What do you usually get back from your child, the same thing.  They are snapping back at you and are upset because they think you are upset at them.  

We seem to take everything very personal.  If we are confronted with someone that is rude to us and makes a mean remark, isn't there something in the back of your head that thinks, "What did I do?" or  that something is wrong on our part.  Most of the time, it is simply something that is going awry with that person.  Think about it, we have a choice in how we react to every single situation.  I used to have a pink streak in the front of my hair at the age of 34.  People would say, "Why did you do that?" and the tone was definitely one of judgement.  I simply smiled back and stated, "Why not?  I wanted to try it out. I like it for now...AND it's just hair."  See, I could have taken those comments personally and thought, "Maybe I shouldn't have done that" or "What are people thinking of me?"  Truth be known, who cares!  I liked it and that was all that matters.


We have these concepts in our minds of what people "should" be like, "should" wear, "should" believe. I think most of it bunk. Things are said to not be appropriate depending on one's age or life style. I know that there have to be some rules and standards for dress at jobs, schools etc, but outside of that, let people live there lives.  

People want to instill their beliefs in everything on you. You are this age so you should be wearing this.   Or, you don't go to church, believe in this or believe in that?! You don't feed your children Lunchables for lunch? Here is what I say to that...no, no and no. You can like it or not. You can like me or not.  I don't care.  If you are truly my friend, you like me for me.  You like the kind of person I am, not the person that others and the media and society expect me to be. 

I admit it, I am flawed, as we all are.  I put pink streaks in my hair sometimes. I say and do dumb things. I don't go to church anymore. I cry when I get mad, even at times people would consider "inappropriate." I am also a loyal friend. I am incredibly strong. I do my best to take care of my mother who has Alzheimer's.  I love my family more than anything else. And I think I am a pretty fun person to hang out with.  

So that is what I am giving out a pink streaked, sometimes fumbling, yet strong woman who loves people and loves to have fun.  Take it or leave it.


Source- album cover

2 comments:

  1. You are my first comment! You win friendship for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete